In 1941 a group of 23 men met in the Redmont Hotel to consider the need for and value of an organization in the building business to promote integrity, craftsmanship and industrial advancement. Ten days later, they voted unanimously to proceed and nominated a slate of officers for the Birmingham Chapter of the Home Builders Institute of America. Those elected were C.H. Chichester, Chairman; Everett Shepherd, Vice Chairman; Charles Byrd, Secretary; and Morey Hart, Executive Secretary. The new organization immediately undertook issues of membership, professional image, material purchase prices and coordination of local, state and national efforts to improve the benefits of home ownership. In November of that same year, foreseeing the need for representation in the nation’s capital, the Birmingham chapter and other members of the loose confederation of builder organizations agreed to fund an office in Washington, DC. In 1942, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) was organized, with an initial membership of 250 builders in 13 affiliated chapters and Washington staff of two. The Birmingham Association of Home Builders was granted its charter on August 1, 1944 with 30 members. The NAHB is now a federation of more than 800 state and local associations representing more than 140,000 members nationwide. Through the years, the Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders has grown to be among the top five largest local associations with more than 1,200 members.